Quails are tiny, short-necked and stocky birds that are found predominantly in North America, South Asia and parts of Europe. Just like chickens, they are generally ground feeders and are bred mainly for their meat and eggs. Though most of the Quails are domesticated, wild Quails are commonly hunted for their meat. Let us see the benefits of Quail meat.
Why you should choose quail meat?
- Compared to chickens, Quails mature faster to produce more eggs and meat.
- It is also advantageous to consider raising Quails instead of chicken as they are more economical to buy and feed.
- Quails are less noisy and require less space when compared to chickens.
- Quail meat is also more economical when compared to other types of meat.
- Quail meat gets cooked quickly, unlike beef or pork. This is due to the small size and low-fat content. Therefore, it becomes a go-to food for busy people who don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
- Japanese Quail meat is very versatile when it comes to cooking. It can be boiled, cooked on steam, roasted, fried, or grilled. It can be used in a wide range of recipes, from appetisers like soups to healthy salads.
Different types of quail breeds
Among the different types of Quail breeds, the Japanese Quail (also known as Coturnix Quail) is the best breed to raise on a poultry farm to earn a regular income, as they will be ready to be processed as meat within nine weeks. The other popular variants of Quail include Bobwhite quail, commonly found in the USA, Mexico and the Caribbean regions. The Rain Quail, also called the black-breasted Quail, is popularly grown in South Asian and South East Asian countries. They are known for their peculiar and subtle flavour of meat.
Benefits of Quail Meat
Quail meat is becoming an increasingly popular choice for meat lovers for its unique flavour and nutritional value. The different dietary benefits are listed below:-
1. An excellent source of protein
Japanese quail meat is an excellent protein source, which helps build muscles, bones and cartilage. A 100-gram serving of Quail meat contains about 22 grams of protein – which is higher than chicken or any other poultry meat for that matter.
2. Low-fat content
Quail meat is very low in fat content when compared to beef and pork. So this benefits people who want to control or reduce their weight and maintain a healthy diet. A 100-gram serving of Quail meat contains only 3 grams of fat, which is significantly lower than pork or beef.
The unhealthy cholesterol content is also lower than other types of meat. But, Quail meat (particularly Japanese quail meat) is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which helps to reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and control cholesterol levels. This also makes Quail meat an ideal choice for people with heart diseases.
3. High in vitamins and minerals
Quail bird meat is packed with Vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc. Neurotransmitters, which are vital for proper brain function, are produced with the assistance of vitamin B6. Iron is required to transport oxygen in the blood, whereas vitamin B12 is crucial for making red blood cells. A healthy immune system can be maintained with the aid of zinc.
4. Health Benefits
Some of the health benefits of consuming Quail meat include enhanced immunity, better skin health, helping to cure anaemia, improved eye health and controlling sugar levels for diabetic patients.
Quail meat can be used to cook delicious Quail biryanis, Quail Fry, Quail Curry, Quail Kebab and Quail Roast. Try out Epicure’s healthy and organic Quail meat at the best prices to make the above-mentioned lip-smacking dishes.